Thank you for submitting your graphic novel to Tu Books, an imprint of Lee and Low Books. Guidelines are below.
If you want to submit a novel, please see our novel submission guidelines. DO NOT UPLOAD A NOVEL MANUSCRIPT HERE.
NOTE: This is not the New Visions Award submissions category. If you are a debut writer of color and are interested in entering our annual writing contest for a new writer of color writing middle grade or young adult books (including graphic novels), please see our submission guidelines for the contest. When the contest is live (April 1--August 31), you will see a link on our general Tu Books Submittable page titled New Visions Award.
For agented submissions, we have a separate category here.
At Tu Books, our focus is on well-told, exciting, adventurous novels and graphic novels for young readers starring people of color. We look for fantasy set in worlds inspired by non-Western folklore or culture; contemporary realism, mysteries, and fantasy set all over the world; and science fiction that centers the possibilities for people of color in the future. We look for historical fiction that sheds light on little-known time periods, settings, and historical events, and we welcome intersectional narratives that feature LGBT and disabled POC as heroes in their own stories.
We also seek select nonfiction graphic novels with the educational market in mind.
All the books we publish have a strong literary quality to them--and graphic novels are no exception.
Graphic Novel Submissions:
- Please include a synopsis and first three chapters (or equivalent--up to 20 pages of script) of the graphic novel script. Do not send the complete manuscript.
- If you are also the illustrator, please include art samples with a sample storyboard in PDF or JPG format.
- If you are NOT an illustrator, do not include art samples.
- Manuscripts should be accompanied by a cover letter that includes a brief biography of the author[/illustrator], including publishing history. The letter should also state if the manuscript is a simultaneous or an exclusive submission.
- This is not the place to submit picture books. Please look at the LEE & LOW BOOKS submission guidelines for picture books.
- Be sure to include full contact information on the first page of the manuscript. Page numbers and your last name/title of the book should appear on subsequent pages.